Share

Welcome.......

CALL: (888) 400-6859
115 N Washington Avenue, Mansfield, LA 71052

 

Carmel - Frierson - Gloster - Kingston - Pelican



Carmel

 

Nestled among the trees, high on a bluff, in all of its humble glory, beauty and mystery is the Rock Chapel. It was constructed in 1891 by Carmelite monks from the nearby Carmelite Monastery.  Stones from the surrounding area were gathered and joined together with mud plaster, it is a work of great beauty.  The walls were painted with beautiful, colorful frescos and the ceiling murals were painted by two monks from France.The Chapel was used as a retreat by the monks.  The Rock Chapel was originally a part of the nearby larger monastery.  At one time approximately sixty men and boys were under the tutelage of Father Peters.  It is recorded that six nuns also resided at the larger monastery in the convent.  In 1891 Father Peters left and was soon followed by the nuns.  On November 14, 1904, fire destroyed the larger church and Carmelite monastery.  The Rock Chapel and its marked graves are all that remain of the original Carmelite Monastery.

The Rock Chapel is accessible to visitors through locked gates, but visitors are welcome.  From Hwy 509 take Carmel Loop Road, at the intersection of Carmel Loop Road and Smithport Lake Rd (Parish Road 10) proceed to approximately 1746 Smithport Road, dirt wooded road with locked swing gate is the path to the Rock Chapel.  Call the DeSoto Tourist bureau for instructions to acquire the key or stop at the Carmel Store, grab a bite to eat, it is a favorite of the locals that know, and ask for the Rock Chapel key.

After visiting the Rock Chapel, continue your trip on Smithport Lake Road to view one of the many cypress laden lakes of North Louisiana.

 


Frierson

Frierson is located approximately three miles north of Interstate 49, at exit 186 along LA Highway 175.  Come to Frierson and visit with the "Big Cats!" Frierson is where you will find "Yogie and Friends Exotic Cat Sanctuary."  Yogie and Friends is the only sanctuary for large, exotic cats in the State of Louisiana.  It is Federally Licensed by the USDA, Animal Plan Health Inspection Service and is Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries permitted.  Included at Yogie and Friends is the Animal Education Center, Veterinarian Clinic and Quarantine Housing, Internship program, dormitories and natural habitats for the big cats.  Yogie and Friends is celebrating their 12th Anniversary in 2012!  Visitors are welcome.  The sanctuary is located at 128 Fob Lane, Frierson, LA 71027.  Phone: 318-795-0455.  Find them on the web at www.yogieandfriends.org.

 



Gloster

Gloster has three Historic homes listed on the National Register of Historic Places in DeSoto Parish. Rose-Neath Plantation is located on LA Hwy. 5, approximately 2 miles east of Gloster.  Rose-Neath Plantation is privately owned.  Myrtle Hill Plantation House was built circa 1850, it is a Greek Revival home and built by Robbins Bros.  The home is located southeast of Gloster off LA Hwy 5 and is privately owned.  The Thomas Scott House is a Greek Revival House, Thomas Scott was the builder, the home was built circa 1858.  It is privately owned.


Kingston

 

Kingston is an unincorporated community in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana.  It is located east of Gloster near the intersection of Louisiana Highway 5 and Louisiana Highway 175.  The Long Alley Gun Club is located near Kingston.

 


Civil War battles are re-enacted near Pelican, LA

Pelican

Pelican is an unincorporated community in DeSoto Parish, Louisiana.  It is located near Hwy, 483 and 513 off of Hwy. 175.  Pleasant Hill re-enactments and activities in the re-enactors camp take place 3 miles north of Pleasant Hill at 23217 Hwy. 175, Pelican, Louisiana.